Log in

South Orlando Rowing Association

News

  • 09/13/2017 8:18 AM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    https://www.gofundme.com/sorarebuild

    As you all know by now, our boatyard (And Moss Park generally) has suffered tremendous damage from Irma. We have started a GoFundMe drive to help raise funds to help us rebuild. We appreciate any contributions but even if you aren't able to contribute directly, sharing to your social media accounts can help a lot. Thank you and once we get up and running again we hope to see you all back at the park. 

  • 09/12/2017 12:02 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    First and foremost, we hope all of you came through hurricane Irma safe and without significant damage to your property. We know some or even many of you lost power and some still don't have it back yet. Please reach out to the extended SORA family if you need anything. This is a time to help each other as much as possible.

    I wanted to send word out that our boatyard & dock did suffer significant damage which will prevent us from rowing for at least a week, maybe more. Coach Terry and President Phil have a plan to recover but it will take some time. We are looking into insurance coverage and also will be sending out a gofundme to raise some funds to help in those efforts. 

    Please do not go to the park until advised by SORA/Coach Terry. When we are at the point where we are ready to ask for members' help, we will. 

    Coach Terry will be sending erg workouts for those with ergs at home and trying to organize a temporary home for our SORA ergs somewhere so we can have organized workouts. 

    More word on that, pictures from the park, the link to a gofundme and more soon.

  • 09/08/2017 8:01 AM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    We are asking all high school rowers to join Coach Terry at 1pm for final boatyard storm prep. We need to get the rest of the boats on the trailer and all remaining loose articles secured ahead of Irma. Thank you in advance for all who can make it to help. 

  • 09/07/2017 12:08 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Practice is cancelled for all programs for Saturday and Monday. We hope to resume normal operations on Tuesday. 

    We will need all high school rowers able to attend practice tomorrow (Friday) to help with securing the boatyard and loading the trailer.

    Please stay safe during the storm. 

  • 09/06/2017 12:27 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Hello all. Just passing along that Coach Terry and President Phil are actively monitoring Irma and our weather situation. We have secured a safe place for our boats and plan on moving them this weekend. As of now, practice is on for high school through Saturday morning (Today, Friday, Sat AM) and middle school today and tomorrow. If the weather is bad any of those days, we will have land workouts and we'll be doing storm prep (securing the boatyard, oars, de-rigging boats, loading the trailer, etc). If any parents are available to help with storm prep, please check in with Coach Terry at the park to see what you can do to help.

    As always, any practice cancellations or changes will be sent via the text alert system but I'll also try to post them here and in the news section if possible.

  • 08/30/2017 12:30 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    With the high school season already under way and the middle school season starting on Tuesday, weather is usually on a few peoples' minds. 

    One question we get a lot is "Is practice cancelled today" due to inclement weather. The most common answer is "no" for a few reasons so unless you hear otherwise, assume it's on. First, it's Florida and we understand the weather when kids are getting out of school may not be the same as when practice starts. We try to keep in mind that for our high school rowers, there are a lot of carpool situations where the rowers are being brought to the park at the beginning of practice but then picked up by someone else at the end. Canceling practice can leave kids without a way to get home. 

    That said, the first concern SORA has is safety which is why the decision to cancel practice is made by someone at the park with an eye both on the sky and the radar/weather reports. If it's deemed the forecast calls for bad enough weather to make even getting to the park dangerous the call will be made. 

    If it's just a typical summer afternoon/evening with some storms in the area, it's likely practice will still go on, even if it's land-based under our grounded pavilions. If there isn't lightning in the area (as indicated by the park's lightning sensor) we may even go on the water in rain. Rowing is a rain or shine sport and we encourage all rowers to be prepared for practice in the elements.

    If practice is cancelled, the primary (and sometimes only way depending on timing) we will let you know is the text message system so it's crucial all parents AND rowers sign up at Text Message Sign Up

    If you have more questions or concerns about this, please talk to your coach.

  • 08/28/2017 5:00 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)
    Today we welcomed back our high school rowers and beginning next Tuesday (9/5/17) our middle school season begins at 5:30. Make sure to bring your high-visibility gear (shirt/hat), water and running shoes.  
  • 08/23/2017 9:14 AM | Deleted user

    YOU CAN SPONSOR A SET OF SCULLING OARS for the 2017-2018 season!  


    In an effort to improve our equipment this fall, SORA is providing the opportunity to members, alumni, and supporters to sponsor a set of SORA sculling oars for $100+ (details below).  The money from this project will go to the SORA equipment fund and will lead to improved quality and new future sculling oars for SORA.

    If you don't know which set you want to sponsor... ask your favorite rower which set they like!  Each set is marked with a label where they are stored (ex B1, C5, D3, etc).  Each row (B - G) has a specific brand of oar: Dreher, Concept 2, WinTech or Braca). 

    You can complete your sponsor request online.  Upon receiving your request, we will assign sponsors on first come, first served.  

    $100 Sponsor: sponsor a set of oars already in the SORA fleet.  Your sponsor name will be on both oars in your sponsored set.

    $300 Sponsor: Sponsor a set of NEW SORA sculling oars.  4 sets available.  These oars will be purchased during the Fall Season.

    SPONSOR FORM AVAILABLE ONLINE (click here)

    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT & SPONSORSHIP

    FAQs

    • When will sponsor vinyl be applied:
      • By Sept 15 for $100 sponsors and by Nov 15 for $300 sponsors (we will need to order the new oars first!)
    • How long will my name be on the sponsored oar?  
      • Until August 2018.  We will renew oar sponsors at the start of the 2018-2019 racing season
    • Where will my sponsor name be applied?  
      • Between the Handle and the start of the oar sleeve.  The name will be positioned for viewing when the rower is at the catch & through the drive (on the square)
    • Does sponsoring an oar make it so my rower has priority use
      • Unfortunately No.  These are sponsors for team-use blades (available to all SORA rowers).  However, if your rower has a set they currently use primarily, i would suggest sponsoring those oars.


  • 08/04/2017 5:07 PM | Deleted user

    Head of the Charles

     

    The 2017 Head of the Charles Regatta (Boston, MA) is October 21-22.  This is the largest Fall regatta in the United States and is a 2 day rowing festival in Boston.  Even if we put in entries, there is no guarantee our bids will be accepted.

    • The top 50% of competitors from last year have guaranteed bids (they can enter that race again)

    • Crews placing in the bottom 50% or who did not race in the previous year (SORA), put in entries to the Lottery.

    • The regatta committee randomly draws crews from the lottery to fill the remaining spots for each category.

     

    Before SORA submits its bids to the Lottery that COULD  include a Women's Youth 4+, Womens Youth 8+, Womens 2x, Mens Youth 8+, Mens Youth 4+ and a Men's Youth 2x, we need to know that there is an interest from our membership & an ability to cover the costs for the regatta.

     

    The regatta cost will be an estimated $900 per rower.  This cost is an estimated $575 in regatta fees and $325 in travel (Flight) and food costs.

     

    TIMELINE:

    • August 27 - Yes/No responses due for each rower

    • October 1 - $575 regatta fee due for rowers & coxswains

    • NOTE: the latest we should hear if our lottery bids are accepted to the regatta is October 1.

     

    PLEASE NOTE:  To make the Head of the Charles a possibility for more of our membership, WE WILL NOT BE ATTENDING Head of the Hooch this year.  Instead, we will be attending a head race in Sarasota the weekend of November 4-5.

     

    What happens if our entries for the Charles are not accepted through the lottery?  Our team will race at the Gatorhead regatta on October 21 instead.

     

    To help us in our planning for Head of the Charles, please submit your reply via our online form CLICK HERE



  • 05/22/2017 12:49 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Due to special security procedures at our venue for this year's event, we have to cut off ALL sales today and will not accept any walk-ups. We apologize for this but it was the one concession we had to make.

    Get your tickets here: High School End of Year Ceremony

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software