Log in

South Orlando Rowing Association

IMPORTANT Citrus Sprint News!!!

01/20/2016 9:33 AM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

Can your rower race on Sunday if they move the regatta? Please click here to indicate yes/no.


Overnight we got word that ROCCS, the team hosting Citrus Sprints this weekend, was very concerned about a high wind forecast for Saturday (15-25mph).  This wind forecast would make rowing unsafe for all aged/abilities.

Because they want to see fair and safe racing, they have already implemented logistics to Sunday IF the weather forecast does not improve by tomorrow.

This adjustment to the race schedule and willingness to move to Sunday is very uncommon (we've never seen it happen in Florida), but greatly appreciated.  Normally, if weather interrupts a regatta, the regatta is simply canceled and not rescheduled. 

Although we will not know until TOMORROW (Thursday) if the regatta will be moved to Sunday, for planning and logistics purposes, we need to know TODAY if your rower will be able to make it Sunday (this also includes rowers who were unable to race on Saturday). 

A new event page/registration has been set up and we need ALL rowers, High School and Middle School to register thus indicating they can row on Sunday. Your response to racing Sunday will not change whether the race is on Saturday or Sunday, it will affect SORA's decision on whether we can make the race on Sunday. Coaches will be following up with rowers today at practice.

Can your rower race on Sunday if they move the regatta? Please click here to indicate yes/no.


We have to make a decision as a team very quickly on this so please make every effort to let us know your availability now.

Below is the full communication from the regatta hosts.  Again, we are extremely thankful that they are even considering offering a Sunday regatta instead of just canceling racing all together.

Good Evening,

We at ROCCS have been watching the Saturday Regatta weather forecast very closely.  The winds are forecast at 15 - 25 mph all day.  These are unsafe winds for rowing.  

We will wait until approximately 7:00 PM on Wednesday to determine whether the wind forecast substantially changes.  If it does not, and if the winds remain unsafe for rowing, we will move the Regatta to Sunday, Jan. 24.  Sunday's weather is forecast to be ideal for rowers of all ages.  We have already received permission from the City of Inverness to hold the Regatta on Sunday, if required.  

If the change is required, we hope that there remains enough interest from all teams and entrants to continue with the event.  (Perhaps even more scholastic rowers can participate since the day will no longer conflict with the state-wide SAT testing!)  We have worked very hard to ensure that the day is fantastic, and we apologize that the weather is not cooperating.  However, safety is of utmost concern for all rowers.  Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.  An update will be sent Wednesday evening. 

Thank you,
Robert McClory
SORA President


Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software